H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: Case counts, first Aussie death, New Zealand raises response level

first_imgJun 19, 2009World novel H1N1 cases top 44,000The number of global novel influenza cases grew to 44,287 cases, including 180 deaths, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported today. The total is a 4,667 increase from the number it reported in its Jun 17 update. The list includes the first confirmed cases from Laos, Oman, St Maarten, Papua New Guinea, South Africa, and Suriname. Countries reporting large increases include Mexico, Canada, Argentina, Chile, and the United Kingdom.[WHO update 51]US novel flu cases push past 21,000The nation’s number of novel H1N1 cases grew to 21,449, including 87 deaths, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported today. The number reflects an increase of 3,594 cases and 87 fatalities from a week ago. States reporting the most cases include Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas, New York, Massachusetts, and California. New York confirmed the highest number of deaths, 24, followed by Texas with 10, and California, Utah, and Illinois with 8 each.[Current CDC numbers]Aboriginal member is Australia’s first novel flu deathAustralian health officials today reported the country’s first novel flu death, a 26-year-old man from a remote Western Australia community, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported. The man, who reportedly had a number of other health conditions, died in an Adelaide hospital where he was flown earlier this week for pneumonia treatment. Tests yesterday revealed he also had novel H1N1 flu. Some experts warn that the pandemic’s effects could be more severe in remote populations.[Jun 19 ABC story]Papua New Guinea, Bangladesh confirm first casesOfficials in Papua New Guinea and Bangladesh reported the nations’ first novel H1N1 cases, according to media reports today. Few details were available about the patient in Papua New Guinea, other than he or she had recently developed flulike symptoms after overseas travel. Meanwhile, a health official in Bangladesh said the country’s first case was in a 17-year-oldNew Zealand raises pandemic response levelNew Zealand’s health ministry announced today that the country was shifting from a “contain” to a “manage” pandemic response level. In a statement, the ministry said the change reflects increased transmission of the virus, particularly in Wellington, Christchurch, and Auckland, not the severity of the disease. The ministry said the change will enable community health services to manage large numbers of influenza patients and maintain service levels for other sick people.[Jun 19 New Zealand health ministry statement]last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *