Tag: 爱上海QW

Two COVID-19 Related Deaths Reported Thursday

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) MGN ImageMAYVILLE – Two 80-year-old men have died as a result of COVID-19 infection in Chautauqua County.The Chautauqua County Health Department reported on its Facebook page Thursday both had underlying health conditions and despite extensive treatment, were unable to overcome the illness.“Our deepest condolences go out to their loved ones and the Chautauqua County community,” said officials in a statement.They remind residents its important to take extra precautions to protect the health of those with underlying condition like diabetes, heart disease or respiratory disease. Since the outbreak began, six have died from COVID-19 in the county.Earlier in the day officials reported seven new cases of COVID-19, brining the number of active cases to 20, with 97 total.On Friday, Chautauqua County Executive P.J. Wendel is scheduled to update the public on the COVID-19 outbreak at a 3 p.m. press conference.Viewers can watch the press conference streamed LIVE on WNYNewsNow’s 24/7 streaming network:, our mobile app, or Facebook page.last_img read more

Shane Wallen walks on Oregon State team as senior in honor of late mother

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ When Shane Wallen got word of his mother’s terminal cancer in 2011, his world stopped. Hours of offseason workouts going into his freshman year were nullified. Dreams of starting on Butte Junior College’s football team dissolved.His immediate future was unclear, but he knew football wasn’t in it.“Overall, it was a difficult decision,” Wallen said. “But what made it easier was knowing that I was going to spend my mom’s last few months with her by her bed side and making memories that can never be taken away.”Wallen picked up two jobs — working as a restaurant waiter and personal trainer — to support himself and ensure he was available to take care of his mother, Vickie Wallen, for the 11 months she lived after diagnosis. He never played a down for Butte football, but kept the sport in his life by assisting the strength and conditioning coaches.Combining his passion for fitness with the memory of his late mother, Wallen parlayed his two years as an assistant to Butte’s strength and conditioning coaches into a transfer to Oregon State to intern with its football team. After assisting the team in workouts last season, the senior’s now listed on the Beaver’s roster as a running back — achieving both his and his mom’s dream.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“When things get hard and I’m having a tough day, it makes it a lot easier to look up and know that she’s watching,” Wallen said. “It keeps me going and brought me to where I am now.”Without any offers out of high school, Wallen enrolled in junior college powerhouse Butte with the hopes of playing football and gaining strength and conditioning experience. His mother’s illness temporarily derailed his plans, and a bulk of caretaking fell on him as his twin brother was enlisted in the Marines and his stepdad worked.Wallen needed to be on call to run errands like going to the grocery store or taking his mom to appointments. He juggled caring for his mother with classes at Butte and working two jobs —still finding the time to volunteer in the weight room for the football team.Nearly a year after receiving her terminal diagnosis, Vickie Wallen passed away in August 2012.“It was pretty hard for him,” said his brother, Mitch Wallen. “She’d always been his biggest fan and one of biggest reasons he loved sports and was going to college.”Wallen continued to work two jobs and advance his work with Butte’s strength and conditioning program. He needed to support himself and with his second and final year in junior college approaching, he wanted to transfer to a bigger school.Marcus Dorin, now the head strength and conditioning coach at Butte, saw Wallen’s passion and drive for the coaching field. Through all the adversity, Dorin said, Wallen had the two attributes of a great strength coach — passion and presence — and wanted to help his assistant out.Dorin referred Wallen to a contact in Oregon State’s athletic department and Wallen drove over eight hours from his hometown of Chico, California to drop off his resume on campus. With Dorin opening the door, Wallen received the opportunity he coveted — acceptance to OSU in the 2014 school year paired with an internship in the athletic department’s strength and conditioning program.After a season of working primarily with the football players, coaches were impressed enough by Wallen’s fitness and work ethic to offer him a tryout to walk-on. Four years removed from the last down he played, Wallen excelled in the tryout and joined the Beavers officially as a player in March.“When he’d run sprints with the guys, he was beating these scholarship players every day,” Dorin said. “In the weight room, he was out-lifting these guys that are supposedly going to the league every day. Hell, why not give that guy shot to walk-on?”While he hasn’t seen the field this season, Wallen making the Beaver’s roster has big implications for his future. Having “walked the walk” and participated in the highest level of college football, Doris said Wallen’s legitimacy is bolstered as an aspiring strength and conditioning coach.But for this season, the senior running back’s thrilled to play the sport he loves in honor of his late mother.“There’s not a day that goes by where I don’t think about her and the time we spent together,” Wallen said. “Every time I step on this field, it’s just as much for me as it is for her.” Comments Published on October 22, 2015 at 9:07 pm Contact Liam: [email protected]last_img read more

Police Sergeant hacked to death, suspect hangs self

first_imgBy Andrew CarmichaelA murder-suicide at Union, typically referred to as Number 30 Village, on the West Coast of Berbice (WCB), Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice) has left residents in a state of shock.Woman Police Sergeant Kenisha Sheriff-Fraser, 39, was found in a pool of blood at her lot 370 Union Village, WCB home.Dead: Murder suspect, Clayton AnthonyThe alleged suspect has been identified as Clayton Anthony, also called “Woody”, 42, a porkknocker who occupies the bottom flat of the said house. His body was found hanging from a tree at the village seashore.Police in a release confirmed they are investigating a murder-suicide. According to the release, the Sergeant’s body was discovered in a bedroom in the upper flat of her two-storied home with multiple chop wounds. A blood-stained cutlass, suspected to be the murder weapon, was recovered at the scene.Deputy Commander Edmond Cooper said the investigators were responding to a report of a murder without the knowledge of who the victim was.The house where the murder took placeHe said when the Police arrived, they discovered several chop wounds on the body of the deceased. “As the Police continued their investigation we tried to locate the perpetrator and at the back of Number 30 Village at the seaside, we saw him hanging from a tree.”Cooper noted that the investigation will continue. He referred to the Sergeant’s death as a tragic loss to the Guyana Police Force. “We will do all in our power to control the family at this point in time and the mother who happens to be a Lance Corporal, stationed at the Weldaad Police Station.”When Sheriff-Fraser’s body was discovered, she was naked and there were chop wounds to the stomach, forehead, neck and arms.Sheriff-Fraser, who is the Treasurer at the Bob Gilliard Church in the village, is said to have been preparing for church when she met her demise.At the home, several of her colleagues were inconsolable as they tried to come to grip with the fact that the Sergeant who worked at the Registry Department at Central Police Station in New Amsterdam was no more.A neighbour, Avril Carmichael, who discovered the body told Guyana Times that Sheriff-Fraser was making strange sounds prior to her going into the house.She said it was her 29-year-old granddaughter who heard what is believed to be someone crying and alerted her. “I did not hear no quarreling. My granddaughter said she hear her screaming out like crying and all of a sudden the crying stopped so she tell me to go over,” Carmichael revealed.At first she thought it was Sheriff-Fraser’s mother who is a Lance Corporal. She said she called and got no answer and then attempted to push open the front door but it was locked.“So I go around to the back and open the door and I call but no one answer. I went inside and turn the knob on the first bedroom door and it was locked and so I went to the next bedroom and push open the door and then I discover this gruesome sight lying on the floor….”An alarm was then raised and several persons rushed into the building.Meanwhile, Carmichael explained that one of her great-grandchildren was on her step when the suspect came out of the house and she asked him what happened to Kenisha. “He didn’t answer her but when I look outside I see when he pack up a rope and walk out the yard and go along about his business… I see him walking over the bridge going to the sea dam side and then I go over,” she related.Meanwhile, Sheriff-Fraser’s eldest son told Guyana Times that for the past two days, his mother was acting in a strange manner. He said she told him that she had to be in Georgetown to conduct business but did not elaborate.Moreover, the son related that the suspect was very friendly and helpful to the family.The woman leaves to mourn three children ages 18, 11 and five years old, along with her husband and mother. Meanwhile, Police say the bodies are at the Anthony’s Funeral Home awaiting post-mortem examinations.last_img read more